Monday, October 23, 2006

Social suicide

This topic was brought to my knowledge by a friend of mine, who knew someone who had committed suicide.I will not elaborate on that but it was the biggest shock to me, I was accustomed in reading such articles in the paper and never paid any heed to them, and never thought that I will ever meet a person who could do something like this. But my throat went dry and couldn't believe my ears when I heard the incident.

I did a little study over the net about this and the figures and reasons connected to the act were unbelievable. An article quoted that more than one lakh people take their own lives every year in India! The figure was mind boggling, upon reading more I found certain very strange things. One would think that these acts are committed out of sheer helplessness, possibly poverty or the lack of education. But astonishingly the highest rate of suicide in India is in its southern parts which boasts of almost cent % literacy and high per capita incomes, so then why?

It stated that the biggest reason is expectations, it could be from yourself but largely from the society. The same society or culture that has evolved over thousands of years...

Is this what it has evolved to that a person is not allowed to live peacefully and forced into leaving this world permanently. Human race is said to be the most advanced life form on the planet,but tell me have you ever seen a dog or any stray animal jumping of a building or killing itself? Funny as as the thought may seem, but it never ever happens. Then why are we the more advanced race, who cannot even handle to keep its own hands of its own neck.

This is the type of society we live in, and sadly this is the way its going to be. If we cannot even provide ourselves a reason to live how on earth are we going to help someone else?

Tell me is it more important to score 90 % in boards or is it so important to get a multimillion $ job? These are just parameters which have been set by the society and it gauges you on that, it doesn't care whether you are happy in whatever position you are in, it wont let you be you, and will never miss an opportunity to judge you even once. I am quite sure one wasnt born on the planet just to satisfy these so called norms, thats not the reason one lives for.
For more facts and figures visit : -

3 comments:

anshul said...

“I have decided that suicide is completely out of the question. I refuse to end the suffering of others... No, I must contemplate homicide and end the suffering of one... ME!!!”

anshul said...

Our time is fixed, and all our days are number'd;
How long, how short, we know not:--this we know,
Duty requires we calmly wait the summons,
Nor dare to stir till Heaven shall give permission.

Vivek said...

I see some activity on the blog... Good.. Posting sometime soon I hope..