Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Seagull Effect


'One flap of a seagulls wings would be enough to alter the course of the weather forever.'

The above quote is the origin from which the more poetic quote emerged - the butterfly effect which stated that the fluttering of a butterflies wings can cause a tornado in another part of the world ( i guess even scientists like dramatization!) , well I'll stick with the first one.

I would use an example from my life to prove the above quote. we'll rewind about 6 years, when we all were good boys (and girls) and were preparing religiously for IIT. Then luckily (or unluckily) I didn't reach the target I had set out for but scored a 393 in my CEE test.(note: not 392 or 394) . I joined NSIT - ICE and for the first six months, waiting in the hope that I might get upgraded to DCE comp by the next sem. But slowly I began to settle in that place and was having second thoughts of making a shift instead wanted to freeze my current branch. Thankfully (i guess!) I did not choose to do that and as fate would have it I was the last person to make it to DCE comp.

Then the first day of DCE arrived and i knew only one soul there - Kartik ! (We guys were together in FIIT-JEE) He introduced me to his group- vicky, anshul, saraf, shantanu! and not long i got to know a lot many others.

Like everyone else even my college life played a leading role in defining the person I am today, especially the friends i made during that time. So now when i sit back and think what if i had marked just that one answer from (B) to (D) in the CEE test. I wouldn't have met anyone one of you guys. Then how different my life would have been ?

PS: I have been a believer of the saying 'A man makes his own destiny' but as years are rolling by i am beginning to get inclined the other way.Maybe there is something like 'destiny' and our roles have already been written, and all we are doing is just enacting the script. (I know Anshul would def agree with that! :) )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real question is: Would it have been different? Would you have been a different person?

Are you merely a function of an aggregate of your surroundings and the company you keep?

hmm..

Anonymous said...

http://rajuonall.blogspot.com/2007/02/edge.html

Read this post.. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the 'aggregate of surroundings' bit to some extent, but not entirely. For instance, we all know that he would still be a dog no matter where he studied ;)

A college degree is not a sign that one is a finished product but an indication a person is prepared for life.
-Reverend Edward A. Malloy, Monk's Reflections

anshul said...

I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be.

anshul said...

Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.

anshul said...

There is no such thing as chance; and what seem to us merest accident springs from the deepest source of destiny

Anonymous said...

hagar occurs asserted offence botanical needing adoptive abuse messenger coasts understand
lolikneri havaqatsu